“Being challenged and learning is a large part of what we do here at Rentalcars. My team aim to be responsive, evolutionary, timebound, collaborative, cultural and speedy …evolutionary became self-evident when you found out they had a Pink Panther training room! Timebound and speedy speaks for itself when you have to hit the next week target on finding five Russian speakers who have to be in place by go live date.
Bryan expanded on the speed of business growth that drove the recruitment and ended up with him and his team of 8 handling all recruitment with some support from the Team managers but essentially the experts in the room being his recruitment team. Rentalcars are “a bit like the United Nations “advertising in the language of the individual required. Here Bryan explained that the trick is knowing when to advertise and “when to give the world a rest". Every recruitment MUST include a face to face interview, it's crucial says Bryan in ascertaining the speaking skills, especially as all the training will be in English and it also allows you to get a feel for whose team a certain individual might 'fit' best within.
The actual recruitment process must be tailored too. A Mandarin speaker will have experienced different life events and experiences to a person from Finland perhaps, so the interview, greeting, process overall must be considered and managed with that in mind. As Bryan says “we require a range of different interviewing techniques and approaches because what we ultimately want is the best from the candidate “
A demonstration on Workplace by facebook was a great eye opener into how it’s paying dividends - 96% of the team at Rentalcars have signed up for it and it's making a big impact in reducing emails, giving a clear history line and it's seen as more enjoyable communication process with great visuals and over 600+ updates a week, the vast majority from Rentalcars colleagues.
A comprehensive, insightful visit with a longer than usual Q&A session that Bryan handled with aplomb………………... it's slightly off the wall here, but it works, thanks Bryan, we had a brilliant day!
- Know when to NOT advertise . just as important as knowing when to. Potential candidates will have an opinion of your business if you are constantly in the press looking for staff
- Challenge the norm in recruitment, you too could have a Pink Panther training room
- Get your environment to work for you, innovative rooms and areas to gather and work support the whole culture
- Glassdoor can help you understand what your colleagues think of your business
- Take a selfie !!! and share on workplace… a great way of bonding a group of people together